Quotidiano WordPress Theme
Contributors: Jacob Martella
Tags: one-sidebar, flexible-header, custom-header, custom-menu, editor-style, featured-images, theme-options, threaded-comments, translation-ready, photography
Requires at least: 4.7
Tested up to: 4.8
Stable tag: 1.2
####If you have a problem updating the theme, try reactivating the theme from the Themes page in the WordPress admin####
We, as humans, love to tell our stories. It's essentially second nature to us. And with the rise of Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media, we love to tell our stories in a daily fashion. Quotidiano, Italian for daily, helps you do just that. Whether it's a 100-day photo challenge, a 100-day fitness challenge, a regular old daily blog or anything in between, Quotidiano is the perfect WordPress theme to tell and display your story to the world.
If you love this theme and want to see more of this type of work, please consider a donation or a tip . You can donate on the theme page at http://jacobmartella.com/wordpress/wordpress-themes/quotidiano-wordpress-theme.
- Download the file from the theme page or the zip file from GitHub.
- In the WordPress Admin area, go to Appearance > Themes > Add Themes > Upload Themes.
- Upload the theme zip file that you've downloaded.
- Make sure the theme directory name is 'quotidiano'.
- Once the theme is uploaded, click the 'Activate' link.
WP REST API
Quotidiano is built on top of the new WordPress REST API, which is now inside of WordPress core. This allows the theme to quickly change states from the homepage to a single post to an archive page to a single page all without reloading scripts, styles and other things that can bog down a page during loading. What does this mean for you? It means that you and your readers can quickly navigate around your site with very minimal loading times. Your readers will spend less time waiting in frustration and more time enjoying your story.
Custom Header Video
New for WordPress 4.7 is an option to add a custom video header instead of a custom header image, and Quotidiano adds support for this cool new feature. Simply pick a video (preferably from YouTube) and place it into the "Header Media" section of the Customizer and watch the magic happen. Only about the middle portion of the video will be shown, so chose your video wisely. Also, be sure to select a custom header image as well as a fall back. The image will be shown on all archive pages while the video will display only on the homepage.
Social Media Links
Any theme worth its salt has basic social media integration, and Quotidiano is no different. Add links to your social media profiles in the theme options and they'll pop up right below the header, right in view of your readers.
Want to get away from the basic, black styling of the theme but don't know how to work css? Quotidiano makes it easy for you to find a color styling you like. This theme comes packaged with red, yellow, green, blue and purple color schemes, so you're bound to find something you like. And WordPress 4.7's new custom CSS feature allows you to customize the theme further with ease.
As a daily blog theme, Quotidiano has a heavy focus on photos, from the single post headers to the layout of the home and archive pages. A lot of what we do as people is told through photos, and daily blogs are heavy on the photos. There's no set size or ratio for featured photos in this theme; however, it's advised that your photos be around 2000px and are the same ratio to each other so they look good when displayed as a grid.
Searchable 404 Page
Error 404 pages are the bane of any developer, site owner and reader, and sometimes it's impossible to avoid. Quotidiano makes running into the 404 page a little bit better experience for readers. If a reader runs into that page, they'll be able to navigate back to the homepage or use the search form on the page to look for the post they're looking for and the results will pop up right there on the page.
Quotidiano takes advantage of the editor stylesheet feature incorporated in WordPress core. Essentially, you can the style of your post (sans the background color) in the post editor before you even save it as a draft. This makes it easier for you to see what the post will look like and make quick changes easily.
Setup the theme
Quotidiano is pretty easy to set up. Like any theme in the WordPress theme directory, it can basically run right out of the box. But here are a few tips to set up your theme just right:
- Set up your top menu by going to the "Menus" page in the admin area. Quotidiano supports one menu at the top of the page. Based on the design, it's suggested to keep the top level menu items to a minimum.
- Add a custom header video or image by adding it in the "Header Media" section of the Customizer.
- Set up the theme options in the the "Quotidiano Options" section of the Customizer. Here, you can change the color theme, allow or disallow non-logged in users to submit comments (this is different from the option in the WordPress settings) and add links to your social media profile.
- That's it! You're ready to start blogging!
1.2 - September 6, 2017
- Added loading spinners while the data is loaded.
- Updated to the latest version of Foundation.
1.1 - June 7, 2017
- Fixed an issue with oEmbeds (such as tweets) not showing up on the page correctly.
- Fixed an issue with posts not showing up on the 404 search function.
- Fixed an issue with comment contents not showing up.
- Fixed an issue with the page not scrolling up when a post is clicked.
- Tested to work with WordPress 4.8.
1.0.2 - January 8, 2017
- Improved the updater.
1.0.1 - January 7, 2017
- Fixed an issue with the GitHib updater.
1.0 - January 7, 2017
- Initial release to the world.
- Soft release to the open. Theme now available for others to use and test. If you find any issues, please email [email protected] with details. Thank you!
GNU General Public License http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
AngularJS is licensed under the MIT license. http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
Foundation is licensed under the MIT license. http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
JointsWP is licensed under the GNU General Public License. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
Except where otherwise noted, all photos in the screenshot are also licensed under the GNU General Public License. Copyright 2015 Jacob Martella
Social Media Icons License
All of the social media icons are from https://dribbble.com/shots/1094936-Free-Flat-Social-Media-Icon-Set and licensed under the GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html).
Cutive-Regular.ttf: Copyright (c) 2012, vernon adams ([email protected]), with Reserved Font Names "Cutive"
PlayfairDisplay-Regular.ttf: Copyright (c) 2010-2012 by Claus Eggers Sørensen ([email protected]), with Reserved Font Name 'Playfair'
PlayfairDisplay-Italic.ttf: Copyright (c) 2010-2012 by Claus Eggers Sørensen ([email protected]), with Reserved Font Name 'Playfair'
PlayfairDisplay-Bold.ttf: Copyright (c) 2010-2012 by Claus Eggers Sørensen ([email protected]), with Reserved Font Name 'Playfair'
Roboto-Light.ttf: Copyright 2011 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Roboto-Regular.ttf: Copyright 2011 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Roboto-Medium.ttf: Copyright 2011 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Roboto-Bold.ttf: Copyright 2011 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved.
git clone https://github.com/JMWebDevelopment/Quotidiano.git